Company Profile


Founder, Samuel Quilliam

FOREST CITY was founded in 1902 by Samuel Quilliam, and the family tradition remains through to today with the company still being wholly owned by members of the Quilliam family.

The factory was first located in Manchester's famed Trafford Park, Europe's first purpose built industrial estate. The first products were associated with overhead cables and rail switching systems for electric tramcars. However, the origin of the present production line was laid in the 1920's when FOREST CITY became the first British manufacturer of traffic signals.

Parallel production of warning and directional road signs provided additional foundations for a thriving business with an export led expansion culminating in a movement to larger premises in the Manchester suburb of Stretford. During both World Wars, FOREST CITY temporarily diverted its production lines to wartime munitions and anti-submarine buoys.

The company now concentrates on the production and supply of diesel generators, and the supply of all related original manufacturers spare parts.

Company Policy

All FOREST CITY staff recognise that customer satisfaction is of paramount importance. In order to achieve this, our reputation is based on the following policies:

  • Total Integrity
  • Personal Attention
  • Immediate Response
  • Lowest Prices
  • Fastest Delivery
  • Highest Quality

The Future

Forest City symbolises a company dedicated to the provision of innovative engineering systems based upon solid traditions of personal service, excellence and quality engineering skills. Each year witnesses further applications of the latest technology to its product innovation, reliability and total flexibility.